Sunday, April 7, 2013

Myer's Cocktail IV Infusions

Myers' Cocktail IV Infusions
for Chronic Fatigue and Chronic Illness

After two years after being diaged with chronic fatigue syndrome, I had made slow progress, but then in November of 2011,  I began to go backwards. This was very frightening to me having been bed-fast for the beginning of the illness. I was terrified of going all the way back to being housebound and completely unable to function.

I sought out treatment from a clinic that specialized in treating chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia. I found help in Denver, Colorado at a clinic called Chronicity. Part of that treatment was alternative medicine. I began getting Myers' Cocktail IV infusions on Halloween day, October 31, 2011. I will never forget it because my BFFs from Colorado took me there dressed as a 'She-Devil and Harry Potter'... this really made my day !

Part of my treatment at Chronicity was Myers' Cocktail intravenous infusions.

Myers' Cocktail IV infusions were formulated more than thirty years ago by a doctor named John Myers MD of Baltimore Maryland. It is basically a vitamin intravenous therapy made up of magnesium, calcium, vitamin B-5 (dexpanthenol), vitamin B-6 (pyridoxine), vitamin B-12 (hydroxycobalamin), vitamin B complex, and an average of 25 grams of Vitamin C. Infusions can vary from clinic to clinic.

These therapies are not cheap. They are about $95 a treatment and they are not covered by insurance because they are "vitamins".  But this I do not consider "expensive" because just getting a basic vitamin B12 shot at my local doctor's office cost $165 (if I see the doctor), $65 if I only got the shot. The thirty dollar difference makes a lot more sense to me because I am getting much more bang for my bucks.
I received 12 treatments the first year and am continuing getting them today.

The treatments have not been a magic wand. They have not miraculously made me able to go back to work full-time, run 10Ks on the weekends, and accomplish DIY bathroom and bedroom make-overs ... BUT they have given me more stamina, a faster recovery time when I am exhausted, and I have seen great progress in the time period that I have received them (which has been more than a year now). They have given me about 40% of my life back... which is well worth it to me!~! The quality of life for me at the time of beginning Myers' cocktails was at about a 20% on the CFS scale. But now I have even contemplated trying to go back to teaching part time at the local community college.

I no longer attend the specialty clinic in Denver, Colorado which got me off to a good start. To find a similar clinic in my vicinity, I googled "alternative treatments for chronic fatigue syndrome" in my area. A few clinics resulted from the search. I then made phone calls to each one asking them if they administered the Myers' Cocktail. I found one within 100 miles of my hometown, which was much closer than driving to Denver. 

I continue to get Myers' Cocktails on a regular basis. I at least know they are there when I am having a hard time pulling out of a crash. Like I said, I know they are not enchanted wands or cure all... but they have helped my body to deal with the chronic fatigue, as well as the rheumatoid arthritis which is an autoimmune disease. I am very thankful that I have found this alternative treatment and my rheumy is very pleased with the results. He now does not want me to be on DMARDs for RA, which was awesome !

I still deal with pain and fatigue... but just not on the level that I did before I began. It has given me hope and relief !~!

1 comment: